Grand Canyon University's (GCU) Academic and Career Excellence Centers provides you with the resources, professional knowledge and support you need to successfully transition from academics into a purposeful career and satisfying employment. Make an appointment with a career advisor for resume reviews, career planning and networking tips.
Find a Purposeful Career
The information and tools on this page can help you explore your career options and find purposeful employment after graduation.
- Create Your Career Connections Profile: This profile can assist you in accessing all of the resources the ACE Centers provide.
- Find Your Major: Use the self-assessment tool on Career Compass to help you find your purpose.
- Search for Jobs on Campus: Explore your student employment opportunities.
- Refine Your Interview Skills: Contact us at ACE@gcu.edu to schedule an appointment with a career advisor.
- Start Your Job Search: Check out your job/internship opportunities on Career Connections and GoinGlobal.
GCU's Academic and Career Excellence Centers provide students and alumni with the resources, professional knowledge and support to successfully transition from academics into purposeful careers and satisfying employment.
We commit to helping students:
- Explore college majors and career options
- Learn best practices on effective resumes and cover letters
- Polish interviewing skills
- Refine networking skills
- Identify job opportunities (student worker and off-campus positions)
- Post internships, part-time and full-time positions
- Connect with GCU students and alumni
Resume, Interviewing and Professionalism Workshops
Attend this informative workshop to help boost your resume, interviewing skills and professionalism. If you do not have a Career Connections profile, you will need to create an account before registering. The maximum amount of students per session is 35.
Dress to Impress, Impress for Success
Make a Grand Impression.
Set yourself up for success in the workplace or your next job interview with these tips from the ACE Centers. Our career professionals can provide you with how-to advice on appropriately dressing for the office, preparing for your interview, confidently selling yourself as the best candidate and MORE for succeeding in your career.
GCU offers hundreds of part-time student worker positions, in a wide variety of campus departments each year. Student worker positions are not guaranteed, but the Academic and Career Excellence Centers can help you increase your chances of success. Visit for assistance with resume preparation, online applications and interview preparation. Check with your student services counselor to determine which positions you are eligible for before applying.
How to Apply
- Visit an ACE Center for assistance with your resume and mock interview.
- Search jobs on jobs.gcu.edu.
- Search student worker openings online.
- Select open positions for which you are qualified. Click "Apply for this Position."
- Complete the online application. All applications require that you attach a resume. Download a sample resume here.
- "Submit" and keep an eye out for an email verifying your application was received.
Student employment falls under the Federal Work Study (FWS), Non-Federal Work Study (NFWS) and Community Service Learning Project (CSLP) programs.
- Be enrolled full-time at GCU.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA (3.0 for graduate students) or higher.
- Work a maximum of 20 hours per week during fall and spring terms; 40 hours per week during scheduled breaks, including summer break.
How to Write an Effective Resume
A resume is a marketing tool that is used to attract employers. With hiring managers spending an average of just 10-20 seconds reviewing a resume, you have to quickly communicate your strengths and skills and explain how they will benefit the employer. Contact the ACE Centers at ACE@gcu.edu for more information and to schedule a resume review.
- Schedule a mock interview in one of the ACE Centers.
- Verify the name of the interviewer, date, time and location.
- Ask for a phone number to call if anything changes.
- Take at least two business cards. Need business cards? Get them for free from the ACE Center!
- Bring two copies of your resume and a copy of your class schedule.
- Shake hands firmly, look your interviewer in the eye.
- Dress appropriately.
- Visit Career Connections for more helpful tips.
What Happens Next?
- Check the Workday account you used to apply to view the status of your application(s).
- If chosen for an interview, review our interview tips before your appointment.
- If chosen for the position, you will be contacted to submit new hire paperwork and authorize a background check. You will need to present your original, unexpired form(s) of identification documents for your I9 form to the Human Resources Service Center in Building 71, at 2600 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85017.
- Confirm your start date and orientation course with your manager, and work hard!
Career Compass is a self-assessment tool that measures your interests, preferences and skills and suggests possible career paths based on your individual results. You may also want to use the tool to explore possible college majors and degree programs.
- Examines career and educational goals, academic strengths and career planning status
- Assesses interests, values, skills, personality and leisure preferences
- "What can I do with a major in...?" feature details popular career paths from various degree programs
- Provides detailed information on 1,200+ different careers paths
- Search function narrows down career path options by occupation name or industry area
- Dynamic career portfolio: assessment results, career and education possibilities, plus career objectives and plans
GoinGlobal is a leading provider of both country-specific and USA city-specific career and employment information. With more than 16 million internship and job listings worldwide, GoinGlobal provides a competitive edge that helps you get noticed and get hired.
Get professional advice and insider tips on topics such as:
- Employment trends in major industries
- Executive recruiters and staffing agency contacts
- Work permit regulations
- Salary ranges and cost of living data
- Professional and social networking groups
- Resume/CV writing guidelines
- Interviewing and cultural advice
On average, completing a profile in Career Compass takes just 40 minutes. Once you have saved your portfolio, schedule an appointment with a career advisor to discuss your results and get started on your next steps. We can help point you in the right direction.
Access Code: Purpose
GCU's Office of University Internships aims to help you gain the skills and abilities you need to be successful in today's business world. Our internship programs allow you to gain practical work experience and increase your competitive edge. You will receive insightful guidance and training from professional mentors.
At GCU, our goal is to offer inspiring and challenging learning pathways that offer change, development, introspection and growth.