The Office of Housing Operations at Grand Canyon University manages the housing reservations and logistical needs of both the incoming and returning residential community on campus. The planning of living area allocation and growth, creation/maintenance of online housing selection processes and communication of/accountability to housing policies and deadlines are all aspects Housing Operations oversees.
It is the goal of Housing Operations to provide student centric, premier customer service by keeping students informed of housing opportunities and responsibilities and offering an efficient, intuitive housing selection process. Housing Operations seeks to empower and develop students to navigate housing needs and priorities. Striving for continual improvement of student service, processes and policies is paramount to Housing Operations.
GCU offers a variety of housing options for new and returning students. Our suite-style residence halls and apartments offer all of the amenities you need to make GCU your home away from home. Browse through our housing options to learn more!
|2017-18 Housing Options Brochure|
|2018-19 Housing Options Brochure|
|2018-19 Housing Options|
GCU is committed to keeping housing costs low. Housing and meal plan costs are dependent on the accommodations you seek and the type of meal plan you select. Explore our room and board fees to learn more.
Withdrawal From Housing
If you need to withdraw from GCU Housing before the end of your Housing Contract, you will need to fill out the Withdraw from Housing form. The form can be found by logging into your housing portal and clicking on "Withdraw from Housing." Review the 2017-18 reimbursement fee schedule and the 2017-18 meal plan cancellation schedule for more information.
The housing selection processes for incoming and returning students occur during two different time periods based on the needs of each group. Returning students select housing in the spring term of the academic year. This allows you time to understand campus housing and develop an idea of with whom and where you might like to live during the next academic year.
GCU hopes that all students who desire on-campus housing are able to choose a housing reservation on campus. GCU strives to intentionally maintain viable options for all students. In the event that housing selection comes to a point where returning students are unable to choose a bed on campus due to capacity, GCU has created contingency plans to open further housing options if needed.
|Apply for Housing|
|18 -19 New Student Application Instructions|
|18 - 19 Incoming Application Priority Deadline|
GCU reserves the right to adjust the allocation of a living area.
Allocation and Building Designation
Campus housing is allocated as incoming student housing, transfer housing and returning student housing. New students who are 20 years and older at the start of the academic term are defined as transfer students.
Students with unique or extenuating circumstances may appeal housing options to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Housing Selection Policies
Protecting Your Password
You should not under any circumstances share your online housing application username or pin number. You will be held responsible for the actions completed on your online housing application.
Failure to Complete Housing Contract
You must complete and submit the Housing Contract by the first housing cancellation deadline specific to the term for which you are applying. If you are applying for housing after the cancellation deadline, you must complete the Housing Contract at the time of housing selection.
Housing Selection for Returning Students
You select your Housing through the three-step annual Housing Selection Process.
Step 1: Pre-Payment to Commit to Housing
The first step of the Housing Selection Process involves paying a non-refundable pre-payment to reserve a bed on campus for the following academic year.
There are now two different choices for some returning students: the "Normal Selection Process" and the "Express Renewal Process."
Normal Selection Process:
- Review specific dates for Step 1.
- Receive your online appointment time via email from Housing Operations.
- During your appointment time, pay the non-refundable pre-payment to guarantee a bed on campus, create opportunity to participate in roommate groups and receive a housing selection timeslot based on student classification.
- You are guaranteed a bed only if you pay the pre-payment by the established deadline and continue to meet housing eligibility requirements for the following academic year.
- Failure to pay the pre-payment by the deadline will result in a "late applicant" selection timeslot, assigned for the last day of the Housing Selection Process. Late applicants are not guaranteed a bed on campus and are not able to participate in roommate groups.
- You will be emailed your Housing Selection Timeslot at the close of Step 1.
Express Renewal Process:
- Same process as Normal Renewal Process with the following additions:
- Renew current bed for the following academic year.
- Select a meal plan.
- Complete the housing application.
- No roommate groups.
- The Housing Selection Process is complete in Step 1 (no need for Step 2 or Step 3).
Please keep in mind if you complete the Express Renewal Process, you will still need to complete the application in full and remain eligible for campus housing. Students who choose Express Renewal will not be eligible for roommate groups. By choosing Express Renewal, you are stating you want to remain in your current housing reservation for the following academic year. If you start your application after the Step 1 deadline, you will be considered a late applicant and go through the application as a general population student.
Eligible areas for Express Renewal include:
- All Apartments (North Rim, Papago, Agave, Encanto, Roadrunner, Diamondback)
- Camelback and Prescott Halls (not every bed may be available)
Express Renewal is NOT available for incoming freshmen, transfer residents, current RA's, Life Leaders or preferred roommates of RA's and Life Leaders.
Residence Halls that are not available for Express Renewal include:
- Willow Hall
- Cypress Hall
- Saguaro Hall
- Chaparral Hall
- Sedona Hall
Step 2: Creation of Roommate Groups (Optional)
The second step of the Housing Selection Process is optional, but recommended. This optional opportunity allows you to select your housing with preferred roommates, regardless of assigned timeslots. Participation in roommate groups does not guarantee that you will live with preferred roommates or in your preferred location. Roommate selection is only for the following academic year.
- Review specific dates for Step 2.
- Select a group leader and create a roommate group through the online housing application.
- The group leader is responsible for choosing the group's housing reservations in Step 3. This should be the person in the group with the best timeslot.
- Once the roommate group is formed, the leader must verify the group in the online housing application.
- You can only be in one roommate group.
- Groups will not be larger than six students. Smaller groups are highly recommended.
- Roommate groups can be changed throughout the Housing Selection Process.
- Late applicants cannot create or join a roommate group.
Step 3: Housing selection, Meal Plan Selection, Completion of Housing Contract
It is time to choose your housing for next year! This may be particularly helpful if you are part of a roommate group.
- Review specific dates for Step 3.
- The group leader or individuals without a group selects a group's housing reservation for the academic school year.
- If your group is unable to find a room that allows all group members to live together, you should consider the following:
- Removing yourself from the group and selecting individual housing reservations according to your individual timeslot.
- Creating a smaller group.
After you have selected your housing reservation or it has been selected for you by your group leader, you need to select your meal plan (if required) and sign the Housing Contract. Once you have completed this step, the Housing Selection Process is complete!
- Log in to your housing application during your individual timeslot, sign the housing contract (all students) and sign up for a meal plan (if required for your chosen living area).
- Optional: Sign up for renter's Insurance.
- You must log in and complete your Housing Contract by the established deadline. Failure to complete this contract by the deadline will result in cancellation of a GCU housing reservation.
If you are taking classes or working on campus during the summer, living on campus is the ultimate convenience. Students who remain on campus during the summer semester must follow all university policies. If a student violates the Community Standards alcohol or drug policies during the summer semester, they will be removed from housing for the remainder of the term. This decision is at the discretion of the Student Conduct Board. Other violations during this time may also call for removal from campus housing. GCU reserves the right to move a student at any time.
Summer residents must be GCU undergraduate students working on campus (as verified by Career Services) and/or taking summer classes (campus or online).
About Summer Housing*
Summer students must be present for summer move-in and spring checkout. Summer students are permitted to extend their stay in their spring housing reservation until the summer move-in date. Deadline to apply is Tuesday, April 17 at 5 pm.
|Summer 2018 Move-In:||Friday, May 11 (check out of spring housing on Monday, May 14)|
|Summer Student Fall 2018 Move-In and Contingency Move-In:||Friday, July 27|
|Summer 2018 Move-Out:||Monday, July 30|
|Summer Term:||May 11 – Aug. 17|
|Location:||Chaparral Hall and Saguaro Hall|
|Cost:||View Summer Room Rates|
|Meal Plans (optional):||$250 or $500 Dining Dollars|
*Summer 2018 students with no fall 2018 housing reservation will be required to move out of summer housing on Friday, July 27 and into contingency housing until Friday, Aug. 17.
Summer students living on campus for fall 2018 are advised not to choose Jerome or Cactus Apartments for their fall 2018 housing selection.